Exactly righ RockChuck. With the moths it was just natural selection. Whatever mutation caused some white and some black had occured long before. The white ones were less likely to survive and reproduce in that particular environment so the black ones quickly became more common. Just natural selection helping the species adapt to changing environment. No big deal. Makes perfect sense.

This article is talking about mutation. Two of them in fact. The E Coli adapted to a reduced food supply by mutations that allowed for additional food stuffs to be consumed. New food stuffs that were before unusable. At the same time it retained the ability to continue obtaining sustenence as it always had. It's absolutely fascinating. And even moreso that the same 2 mutations occured in 2 seperate colonies.

The ability of a species to adapt and survive, up to and including mutation at the genetic level, does not suggest chaos and chance, it suggests design. Design infinitely deeper and more complex than we're able to comprehend, at this particular moment. Nature (physical life) is always trying out new combinations. Always testing to see what works best in the surrounding environment. What worked best sometime in the past is not discarded as new developments and resulting changes are made. Recesive genes are still in there, in case they're needed again in the future. Even the ones that failed in the past are there to pop up again if needed. Always seeking new solutions for survival and always retaining old attempts that failed. Just in case. Without these abilities I believe species would be going extinct at a much faster pace than what we see and have seen.

A surprising percentage of the DNA of all species is virul. Viruses do one thing, mutate. Their goal is survival of the species. They don't care which way they have to go to keep with that goal, they jsut go, test driving new appearances, new behaviors, new anytihng and everything. With the very building blocks the species is made up of able to mutate and cause changes in the species, over long term or very rapidly if needs be, it's always a surprise to me people are willing to throw out the theory of evolution as bunk. Seems to me that is keeping God in a box. A very small one at that. A box that is limited by our understanding and completely ignores that His understanding just might happen to be a little fuller and deeper than ours. Limit God to human understanding and He laughs at you. And cries for you... because you limit your own gain in the area of understanding.

The only part of the theory of evolution commonly promoted by secular science worth discarding is the part that leaves out God. You don't have to be an athiest to keep an eye on, and an open mind towards, the possibility that more than a theory exists. Obviously creation occured, it's all around us and cannot be denied. How it occured and the timeframe in which it occured may take a few weeks or a few years to fully understand... That it was set in motion by somebody bigger than us and more smarter than us is obvious to only some of us. I have no problem with that.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 11/18/09.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress