Originally Posted by Notropis
I know how to read and I know how to read different translations of the Bible that have different shades of meaning. Read Genesis 2:18-20 in RSV and try to tell me that the animals were formed before Man. They were formed before Woman but not before Man. What about the one day as opposed to the seven day? Genesis 2:4-8 "In THE DAY that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens..." That sounds fairly clear to me if I read it as written without trying to spin it to fit a preconceived notion.

The point I am making is that I would like to see some consistency. Literalists point to some parts of the Bible but ignore others that are inconvenient to their agenda and then accuse scientists of ignoring data. Literalists go to great lengths to try to explain away obvious contradictions. I realize there are inconsistencies in Science and in the Bible but don't reject each because of those inconsistencies. Instead, I hope to learn from those inconsistencies what the true meanings of Scriture are and what the true nature of science is.

I suppose some will say the RSV is no good, a tool of the Devil, and worth less than nothing because the King James is the one and only true version of Scripture that is the true word of God. Spin, Spin, Spin.
Please provide a quote because I'm with relatives in a different state, so I only have their Bible as reference. I have several different translations at home, but not with me.