Hawkeye, I don't really care what many other people think either. Most are not very familiar with the intricacies of evolutionary theory. Evolution, as said before, does not have to produce new species and can even lead to the extinction of species. Most of the species ever present have become extinct through no fault of humans. E. coli population to slightly different E. coli population is certainly evolution. Extinction is a natural part of the evolutionary process. Evolution includes all changes in the genetics of a population, large changes, small changes, random changes, nonrandom changes, or any other type of change.

Lets look at another example from another field of science that demonstrates why I don't really pay much attention to what many other people think. I wonder what answer most people would choose for this question.

Acceleration is
A. an increase in speed
B. a decrease in speed
C. a change in direction
D. all of the above
E. none of the above

Most would probably say answer A is the only right answer. They would be wrong. The answer is D. Acceleration is any change in speed or direction. Just because many people, even educated people, think acceleration occurs only when you increase speed does not make it so.