Macro/micro seems to be a sticking point. That is unfortunate. It really is just a matter of scale. Since many of you "believe in" micro, how much micro can happen before it becomes macro. How different must two populations of frogs become before they are not the same species? I am not talking about a dog becoming a cat or half dog half man. I am talking about one species of frog having several populations in several different ponds that micro evolve enough so that some of the populations are so genetically different that taxonomists separate the populations into more than one species.

I mentioned the leopard frog several pages back. It was one species for a long time and ranged from the Gulf of Mexico to Canada. The individuals from Mississippi would obviously not breed with those from Manitoba and went through micro evolution a little differently because they were exposed to different environmental conditions and had different options (mutations perhaps) made available to them. The frogs at each end of the range appeared so different from each other that the taxonomists decided they were different species. The frogs in Minnesota looked quite a bit like those from Manitoba and also quite a bit like those from Iowa which looked quite a bit like those in Missouri which looked quite a bit like those in Arkansas which looked quite a bit like those in Mississippi. Where do you draw the species lines? How different is different? That frog species was changed to seven different species. Micro had occurred so much that it resulted in macro.

If nothing else, this example points out one of the problems of using our concept of species as the basis for separating micro and macro.

How much micro will you allow to happen before you folks say stop?

I put "believe in" in quotation marks because I don't "believe in" micro, macro, gravity, electricity, cell theory, or any of the other scientific stuff. "Believe in" suggests that faith in the unseen and unknowable is involved. I have faith in the Almighty but try to understand science and try to use science to help me understand the works of the Almighty.

edit: Are viruses alive?

Last edited by Notropis; 11/24/09.