Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Muffin
And many, at least some, do not even understand the Old Law........ like tithing.....

A tithe was NOT, 10% of what you made, minus taxes, insurance , dues and such........

An Old Law tithe was 10% of EVERYTHING that you owned, each and every year.......... Had a bad year??? You still owed 10% of everything that you owned. Made NOTHING one year, you still owed the 10%..............

Try preaching that today.......
Maybe you are just mistaken and not purposely falsifying.

The tithe was instituted to support the priesthood that ran the whole country from governing, to religion, to social programs if any), everything. The Levites did not get any land so the other tribes chipped in 10% of the produce of the land. The hireling's wages were not taxed, nor commercial fish, nor mining. The agricultural and livestock were tithed and not everybody farmed or had cattle and sheep. There were additional tithes at other times but it remained on the produce of the land. Other people such as the widow and her pennies gave offerings as they could.

So, you might want to correct that after looking into it. I will agree that a person like me should give generously to the less fortunate but there are people barely scraping by that basically don't own any unpledged property. They give what they can if they can. They are in no way obligated by any OT scripture to fork up 10% of their meager living.

That was my point......... And you are correct it was not as 'aggressive' as I stated....I was wrong...

Last edited by Muffin; 05/08/23.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )