Originally Posted by bwinters
The habitat couldn't support those numbers.......

fewer guys and more guys sitting. Result less deer moving around.....

First part, I dont agree with at all. Not going to argue with you, just dont agree. the forest in our area has essentially remained the same since I started hunting in 82. Plenty of logging every year, plenty of mast, though some years slimmer than others, but enough to hold them through. Im seeing a lot of guys not knowing how to hunt the big woods, or grasp hunting at all. Not judging, cause im in their shoes on farmland down here where I live. Deer kick my ass down here. But that brings me to the 2nd part..

I call BS on lack of hunters and laying blame there. I agree wholeheartedly there are a lot less hunters. But thats no excuse. Less hunters means deer will travel naturally. Bear hunters do indeed get the deer stirred up, but by rifle theyre back to normal patterns. Get passed the 1st day or two and guys go home, lack of pressure sends them right back to normal patterns. End of the first week, and 2nd week, can be very good. But most hunters will still fall short. They either give up, or dont know how to hunt. With deer numbers being absolutely pathetic in some areas, that means you actually have to work at it.

Last couple I got

In the laurel

[Linked Image]

Escape route

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Escape route

[Linked Image]

Scent checking old clearcut(strong 2nd rut this year)

[Linked Image]

Not much different than the first buck I ever shot, in the laurel

[Linked Image]

I dont like hunters, and rather stay far away from you. Dont get me wrong, theyre times you "hunt the hunters" but by far id rather play the deer on their own turf. Just because deer and hunter numbers suck ass dont mean you cant fill that tag. To be completely honest, though I dont like the low numbers, im just as happy as ive ever been hunting. Frustrating sometimes, but no matter the number of hunters or deer, you have to make it work for you.