On antler restrictions, I grew up in/around Meadville, PA. It has always and will always produce both big bodied and big racks. I do believe AR has helped grow more large racked deer in that part of PA. I think this is because it allows 1.5 year old deer to get through their first season without getting shot. By season 2, most are small 8 pt and legal but many of them get a pass if they inhabit areas with honest hunters who attempt to ensure 4 points on a side. The result is a 3.5 year old deer. This is when they start looking mature - larger racks, full body size, and smarter than the rest of the deer herd.

As an example, the past 2 years I've seen 3-4 bucks on opening day. Shot a nice 10 pt last year, passed on a legal 1/2 rack this year, and missed a dandy the first Saturday. Before AR, it was not common to see multiple bucks - at any time of the season.

AR in the 'big woods' seem to me to be OK but not overtly necessary. There is big enough 'woods'/cover/area for a mature buck to hide and more importantly a younger buck to learn how to hide without getting shot. Hunting bears in Clinton/Lycoming/Centre counties demonstrated that to me. I've seen some very nice bucks while bear hunting - mostly 1-3 miles off the road in some remote areas.

Overall, I'm fairly positive on AR. I do see some downsides but overall think they do produce more larger racked bucks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.