Originally Posted by Hastings

Everyone has sinned and fallen short. Let me ask in another way. If a man really believes in Jesus and accepts him through faith but goes into a rage one day and completely out of character kills his neighbor in a dispute. And then admits to God he was wrong. Does he get to keep his salvation? I am sure there are a lot of people who believe Jesus was who he claimed to be and accept him by faith, but in moments of weakness go AWOL. Just wondering what you think. You know King David had a lot of trouble keeping it between the ditches.

Yes, of course he "keeps his salvation" (though my belief is once saved always saved, but the question is WERE we ever saved). Conversely, If he murders weekly, asking for forgiveness each time "by the blood of Jesus", but not putting up a good fight nor changing his pattern of sin, with no atonement, then according to John, he never had salvation.

Assume I struggle with an addiction. I know its wrong. I would willingly give in to the addiction if not for the fact that I'm a Christian. God's word is the only reason I fight it. I fight it every day tooth and nail. I win on more days than I lose, but its a continuous battle and I do lose some. Is this a "pattern" of sin? I don't think so. I believe a pattern is if I lose a lot more than I win and have the attitude that its okay, God forgives, and don't fight it with every fiber of my being.

King David, a man after God's own heart, despite his weakness. God also laid a heavy hand on David.

I believe we have lost sight of Gods utter hatred of sin and do not take it nearly as serious as we should. Ask King David. Ask Noah. Most churches romanticize the flood by showing a big beautiful ark full of cute animals. What is not taught is all of the dead rotten human bodies floating on the surface with smell so putrid that it can't be stomached. All humanity, except those on the ark, killed by God because of his hatred of sin. The entire old testament is the same theme. God hates sin, lays down a heavy hand, and the atonement for sin is a blood bath. With Jesus came the new covenant and Jesus blood now atones for our sin. But rest assured, God still hates sin just as much now as he did in the old testament. If a person thinks its as simple as "asking God into their heart" but keeps on sinning, prays for forgiveness, with no attempt for atonement, I'm afraid the narrow gate is going to surprise them.

As mentioned previously in this thread, a thorough reading of scripture proves God is not this big Teddy Bear as he is portrayed in the modern church. God is to be feared.