Originally Posted by ctsmith
I encourage you to finish, you haven't made it to the meat. I'm not trying to persuade you to change your doctrine, but to know your opponent.
From Lecture 3 I got that their view is that whatever the mind deems as being desirable is what the will is inclined to choose, and we always choose according to our strongest inclination at a given moment. And that the power of coercion can severely reduce our free will, but we still always choose according to our strongest desires. Our free will changes and fluctuates. Then they postulate that we have within us a desire to please Christ, but that desire does not always win out when the moment of truth comes. Man has the ability to choose what he wants...free will. But if man has the moral power and ability to choose righteousness, then “free will is far too grandiose a term to apply to man.” Self-determination is the essence of freedom. For the self to be able to determine its own choices is what free will is all about.
And then they get to their position that if a person can ever respond positively to the things of God, choose Jesus, and choose life, that he must have a desire to do so. And fallen man, in and of himself, no longer has the inclination or the ability to have any desire in his heart for God and for the things of God. That in our fallen state...we still have our free will...but it is now only inclined toward evil and disinclined toward righteousness, because we no longer have the natural ability to make righteous decisions.
This is what I got, from the lecture, to be his beliefs regarding this subject matter.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.