Originally Posted by goalie
Well, if you stop and actually contemplate the ideas most religions, and all the major ones have, it's pretty scary stuff.
Christianity has the whole "believe or burn" thing going on. The idea that someone who did heinous things, but then found Jesus is saved, yet someone who (possibly without even knowing who Jesus was) lives by all the "rules" in the bible but doesn't "believe" burns forever doesn't make an objective observer jump in line to worship.
It's almost as if the "it's not your actions, but your conformity" thing is about control.......
I’m not a fan of organized/institutional religion. My beliefs are mine. I don’t need or want them to be dictated to me by anyone or anything else. Organized/institutional religion has been misused to control, monopolize, and extort the masses. As have other institutions in our history. We see it today in our government and the media.

Anyway I found it interesting that he clearly didn’t solely...if at all...base his atheistic position on a “lack of objective evidence.” His position clearly involves his ‘will’; “...I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God...”. His statement of “I want atheism to be true...” also stands out.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.