Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by gunner500
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place. I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt! How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?
gunner500, did you feel that way yourself last Fall, and for the preceding year, when you said you had some real interest of going to church with your wife full time...? I doubt it, but idk...that’s why I’m askin’.

Was simply looking for truth, honesty, 'REAL' and proof, Sir, but realizing i had never learned to yield [kneel/beg/worship] i let it go, dont want to be a fake/hypocrite in anything i do, the fighting/hypocrisy here amongst "the believers" didn't help the possible explorative journey either, it's all good though i'll just continue to live to be a good husband, neighbor, son and friend, full well remembering the road to hell is paved with good intentions, we shall see someday.

I've tried to raise that point here several times in the past.
"It's your choice" is a phrase that many are fond of using when confronting those who don't believe the way they do. Its an obviously false statement, and easily provable to be so, but it gets brought out time and again anyway.

Ok, I’ll bite.....

Why is it not a “choice” to ponder and pursue God...... or not?

Why is it not a choice to reject God.... or in context with this thread, to reject Jesus?

Pondering may be a choice. If your pondering leads you to a place where you are convinced that you have found the truth, you will beleive. On the other hand, if you find it all sounds absurd to you, and doesn't ring true, you won't beleive.

I could probably read and study Scientology for as long as I could bear it and not become a believer. Its simply too absurd and nonsensical for my mind to accept, I have no choice in that matter. Others, obviously, have a very different experience, and I have to assume its the same for them.

I mostly agree..... but if “if it all sounds absurd.... you won’t believe.” Would it not be a “choice” to deem the “study” to be insufficient?

If the fruits of one’s “study” are deemed “insufficient” ....or leads to something being deemed “absurd”..... is that consequence the fault of what is studied..... or that the “student” somehow failed in his pursuit?

No one has infinite time, energy or interest to study things we find to be absurd. If I study the greek Gods or maybe the gods of Hinduism, I'm sure I could probably dedicate years trying to learn all there is to know. At the end of it all, I'd know alot about those religions but I still doubt I'd believe in an elephant god or Zeuss. If something seems nonsensical to you, I don't think you find yourself inclined to make a more serious study of it.

Sure, I could give consideration to the idea that Haile Selassie was God Incarnate. It would take me a very short period of time to discard that idea as "absurd." But, the point is..... a choice was indeed made.... I discarded the Haile Selassie notion.

It is also absurd to propose that one study every crackpot idea that comes down the pike. Choices are made and absurdities are discarded.

However, the question of ...God? Would remain.....

God promises that those who seek Him .... honest seekers.........will find Him.

Do not be misled by blind guides..... truth matters and choices are being made.

All men need to remain clearheaded, ponder eternity and be aware that there is true truth: God.”

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”