Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Caught a few, but seemed like many times we got hybrids with rainbows.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I knew you had some good pics squirreled away somewhere.....

Correct me if I am wrong but golden trout are a subspecies of rainbow aren't they?

Not sure as it's been 20+ years since I've been in school and involved in reading up on taxonomy. I do believe while I was there or sometime before that they gave all the "rainbow" (Salmo gairdnerii in the old terminology) relatives their own specific epithets and they are also now "salmon" so to speak as in Onchorhyncus mykiss (rainbow) and Onchorhyncus clarkii (cutts), like Onchorhyncus kisutch (Coho salmon)

There was discussion when I was there, are Pacific salmon (Coho, King, pink, chum, etc) actually races of trout that after the glaciers left or some such, had access to salt water and used the opportunity to adapt and grow bigger, produce more young, and thereby have a better chance of continuing their respective line. Or, are the rainbow/cuttthroat/redband/golden trouts actually landlocked salmon?

Seeing as how rainbow (steelhead) and cutthroat (sea runs) have races that do go to the salt, it all gets somewhat confusing and I now longer follow what the latest and greatest theories say.

All I know............................they're all freakin' tasty!

I'll look, maybe tomorrow as it's getting late.

You've piqued my interest.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?