Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Looks like a legal one for sure T.

No belly crawling, commando sniper, ninja sneak you could put on him?

He was too far to go after that evening. I'd of had to drop over 1000 vertical, then climb easily 1500 vertical to get to him, across a lot of scree. There were ewes and sub legal rams below him and to the side, which I am sure I would have spooked. That's not to mention I was already 7-8 miles from camp. I have learned that if a critter is not in a good position for a stalk and there's time left to hunt, don't try it. Wait for another day, when they're in a better position.

Yeah, that elk hunt I posted pics of the guys glassing for me. Last day or second to the last, no it was the last day the boys could help glass, that's what it was. We all went to a little hill they have named after one of the guy's old lady, as she got an elk there one season. Off we all go loaded up in a few vehicles. Get there and everyone starts looking. After awhile, someone says "I found them". Napping under some junipers. Probably a group we had seen driving in in the morning 4-5 miles from our location on the hill. They looked to be about 2 miles away in a straight line, across a canyon. Would have had to load a vehicle, drive 8 miles or so probably to get back to a place I could start a hike from. Then a mile or two hike, and then if I got in position it would be how do we get it out, as it would be dark by then. Everyone, guides, me, my outfitter friend thought about it and we came to a sort of consensus it wasn't worth it to try, and might have led to problems.

I understand your reluctance, especially them damn herd critters and all their eyes. They sure can mess with a fella's hunt.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?