Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
I personally, have little interest in the "mind altering" THC compound in MJ. I'm interested in the dozens or hundreds of CBD's and other compounds that Cannabis contains.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
Heck, my dad died a slow painful death he could have used some relief. So use the compounds in MJ that help and leave out the ones that get you high.

Can any of the other compounds be useful in practical medicine? Who knows at this point? The compounds in MJ that might help can't be studied because MJ is a schedule I. That's why it's imperative that MJ be reclassified and control given back to the states, so proper research can be done. Until that happens, the drugs we're stuck with is only what Big Pharma will allow, despite the side effects.

We use drugs that come from nature all the time. Succinylcholine was/is used during surgery anesthesia, it's derived from Curare. The painkiller Prialt is derived from Cone snail venom. Curare and cone snails aren't something that the average person can grow in their backyard. However, Cannabis is. If word gets out that people can cure some of their own ills using something that they grow, Big Pharma stands to go bankrupt. Big Pharma isn't crazy about rescheduling because they will lose Tons of Money, therefore they must instill fear into the public about "the devil's weed". IMO, that's the main reason why MJ has been a schedule I all these years, Big Parma doesn't pay its lobbyist big bucks for nothing, follow the money trail..

That all sounds very reasonable, and you could very well be 100% correct. Those issues are worth addressing.

BUT, and this is a big one, the MJ push nationwide isn't about medicinal use, at least not as I see the empirical evidence here in Oregon. It's about getting high. Some medicinal use and research may indeed follow rescheduling, but the lions share of the MJ pushers are pushing for the wrong reasons, again, in my opinion based on what I see in Oregon.

Maybe I'm wrong and all these grungy scumbags want to save the world, but I doubt it. I think they want to get the world high.

As I stated, getting high, usually done for a lifetime, which is nothing if not drug abuse, has no place in society. The cost is too high. If Mj could remain illegal while otherwise opening the door to research for medicinal use, that would be my first choice.

Why is throwing the door wide open the only avenue to research? Why can't it simply be reframed to minimize abuse while maximizing research opportunity? Laws can be written and rewritten to whatever works. Why do we have to commit suicide as a country to research medicinal uses for MJ?

LOL