Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
. . . We see here that Abraham wasn't blessed because of his action, as in action plus faith equals blessing. Abraham was blessed because of his faith,and his action was a sign and seal which showed his faith.

In other words Abraham was accounted righteous because of his faith,before his action which showed his faith.

So I believe I "hear" you saying that faith with out works (of obedience to God's commands) is dead?

Heb 11:8

8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Yes,you could say that. James certainly did.

I prefer to say it a different way though because the statement that faith without works works is dead sometimes gives someone the idea that faith is not really faith until you add works to it. I don't like that idea because sometimes works take time. It's where people get the idea that a man could honestly and with all his heart seek salvation from Jesus yet fail to do the works,like baptism and not be saved. Maybe the man died before he could be baptized in water. It doesn't matter. I've dealt with those kinds of beliefs ever since I got saved.

I prefer to say it in this way:
A faith that is alive will surly produce works. Just like a healthy branch,connected to the vine,will produce fruit. A man that is saved should want to be water baptized, but I see that it is rather the baptism into Christ which saves. Yes, we must be baptized,which is just a word which means immersed,in Christ to be saved. The only way anyone is judged worthy is to become one with Christ. (to become baptized"immersed" into Christ.) 1 Cor.6:17 He that is joined to the Lord is one Spirit.