Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Is repentance a work? Is repentance a condition of salvation, just like faith?

I guess it depends on what repentance means to you. To a middle age monk it meant walking on his knees on broken glass and flogging himself with a whip. To me it simply means to change my mind,to change direction. By my definition I don't see how a person would have faith without repentance.

I think maybe it meant the same to Jesus. Remember in Luke 19 when Zacchaeus changed his mind about how he had been collecting taxes and "repented". Jesus said Salvation had come to him.

The definition of repentance includes obedience, not just a "change of mind."

Mt 21:28-31

28 But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.
29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.
30 And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.
31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first.

Yes, but I would say to that, who has really changed their mind if they won't act on it? Go right back to Abraham being righteous in uncircumcision,or in other words righteous as soon as he received the promise by faith. Then the action of circumcision came as a result of his believing. It was not that he didn't become righteous until he obeyed by becoming circumcised.The scripture very clearly makes a point to tell you that he was righteous before his action of faith for this very reason.