My understating the criminal trespass charges were dismissed. Not sure the reasoning for the dismissal.

The guys brought a ladder. It nor the hunters touched the private land. Now sure the space above the private property was occupied by the ladder and and the bodies of the hunters.

However, what damages where there to the property owners? They were suing for 7M saying the value of their land was reduced by that much. Love to see how they would prove that.

Reminds me of the old tale where a scrooge of a guy sued a another poor guy for eating a bowl of rice while smelling scrooge's meat dinner cooked. The poor guy enjoyed the smell and it made his rice taste better. Judge found that the poor guy did indeed steal the smell of scrooge's meal. Judge asked the poor guy if he had any money. Guy pulls out a few copper pennies. Judge told the poor guy to drop the coins from one hand to another. The judge then turned to scrooge and told him the recompense for stealing a smell is the sound of coins.

My understanding was that the owner chained the fence posts together. Doesn't some of the chain also go over the public land?

Carpe' Scrotum