Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
He's pointing out that naturalists had already understood that species evolved over time. What they didn't understand prior to Darwin was the mechanism. They speculated on that, but got it wrong repeatedly (e.g., Lamarckism). Darwin's theory of evolution explained it so well that it has yet to be overturned, and is the accepted theory, with some slight modifications/additions here and there. But, broadly speaking, it appears that natural selection combined with inherited trait variability is the main mechanism (Darwin had no knowledge of genetics, the science of which was originated by Gregor Mendel), i.e., Darwin's Theory of Evolution. His theory wasn't that species evolved over time (that was already accepted science), but rather, how.

Understood, however, that “point”, while related, doesn’t address the post to which he responded to. It is irrelevant to the argument that Theory of Evolution is not a fact and only convolutes the issue. Some prominent scientists providing their opinions doesn’t make a theory into a fact. It may provide credence, make it more likely or garner support, but it simply does not make the Theory of Evolution a fact. There may be facts involved, but it still doesn’t make the Theory of Evolution a fact.

I find all of this talking in circles to avoid admitting that devotion to the Theory of Evolution requires faith beyond what science provides to be fascinating. It truly parallels religion, with the most devout (despite their higher level of education and/or understanding) absolutely refusing to acknowledge the most basic truths: Theories can change. Facts do not. A theory is not a fact. It appears the only ways to refute these truths are to deflect to a different (possibly related) point, corrupt their definitions or completely dismiss the statement by attacking the writer’s credibility. That doesn’t change the above-stated truths.

Its okay to have faith….unless one of the goals is to criticize the faith of others. In that case I can see why one would not want to admit using it (despite it being blatantly obvious).