Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
This is a huge problem for those who believe God is infallible.
It might be for some, but clearly and certainly not all.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
These factual errors in the Bible clearly dispute that belief.
The error is on the part of those who misinterpret (either intentionally or unintentionally) in order to make what is said fit in with their preconceived bias.

I absolutely believe that the universe and the world and life on this earth are God's creation, and I believe that whatever means He used to achieve His creative objectives (the Big Bang, evolution, etc.) was very clever on His part. I see no incompatibilities between science and spirituality. None. I see science as a source of spirituality.

The literal interpretation of the Genesis creation story, to me, is stupidity beyond belief. We have factual information that proves that. Jesus referred to Genesis when talking to ancient Israelites because it’s what they knew. It’s the information they were given. They didn’t have the ability to understand the complexities of the universe or creation, so they were given allegory.

No big deal. Even Jesus used parables in His
teachings, and they are clear examples of allegory.

Salvation doesn’t depend on one’s literal interpretation of the Genesis creation story anyway.

And a relationship with the risen Jesus doesn’t require an inerrant Bible.

They could have been educated and given the facts. The ancients were just as intelligent as us, just did not have our information and understanding of the natural world.
It is pretty simple, really. Books are written by people. People can only include in their books information of which they are aware.

The people who recorded the Old Testament could only write of what they knew.
The Western Hemiphere is never mentioned.
Germs are never mentioned.
Rocks which can kill through non-contact exposure are never mentioned.
Etc, etc, Not because the primitive peoples were not intelligent enough to understand. But, because the authors had no knowledge of the subjects.

According to the believers, every word was inspired by God, who could of imparted all that knowledge to them for his perfect book, but doesn't seem to be what happened.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell