I guess I just don't really understand the whole long range hunting just for the sake of long range hunting thing. I understand wanting to be able to shoot accurately at long distance. I understand taking a long shot if it's all you have or if it's necessary. I agree that its a good idea to become as proficient as possible at all ranges, and I plan to do plenty of practice to become a decent long range shot.

I don't really understand the thought that says "lets see how far away I can get and still hit this animal". If its prairie dogs I don't see an issue, a hit is likely a kill. A big, tough animal like and elk though? Why not get closer, if possible? Is it fair to the animal to risk gut shooting it just so you can brag to your buddies?

Like I said, if you can shoot with confidence at the range presented to you, and it's all you have, I'm fine with that. If a guy wants to see how far he can hit something just so he can brag, grab a piece of [bleep] steel!

For example, a fellow behind the counter at a local gun shop was enlightening me as to the qualities of his new Sako TRG in .338 |Lapua or something. This after I told him |I was kinda looking for a lightweight mountain rifle. He said this was his choice, but it might be hard to find a sheep that was 1200 yards away so he could shoot it. That bothers me. If he said he could hit a 6" target 9/10 times at 1200 yards, and would take the shot if need be, I'd of thought him slightly less idiotic then I did. As it was, he clearly wanted to shoot an animal at a range that would hopefully impress his buddies and customers.

I suppose I'd have to say that you should get close enough to know you can make a good shot, even if your estimates and calculations aren't spot on. Chit happens, try to allow for it. I just never saw a reason not to get closer, if you could. I'd think generally one could sneak just a bit closer than 1300 yards. Just my opinion though, likely worth every penny you paid for it.