Texas Photog, thanks for your post it let me relive some fond memories. You have had some slob hunters show up in your camp. Have you ever had someone who is dedicated to the sport show up? One of my favorite hunting memories involves a land owner who, like you, had seen some slob long range hunters show up. When I touched off the shot at a 540 yard antelope and the goat started his down hill run he screamed, "you missed!" I knew better. I yelled, "fall over," which it promptly did.
After we took care of the meat we started driving around the ranch to see if we could be of help to his other guests. About once or twice an hour he would bust out laughing and yell, "that was a hell of a shot!"
What the rancher did not know was that I arrived a day earlier found a place to shoot and spent about five hours of range time getting ready to make a shot out to 700 yards if it was presented, although I would have been happy with a 50 yard shot. 540 was a chip shot in the conditions that presented themselves that day.
I ended up having to teach him and his sons how to use a ballistics calculator that afternoon. Then spent a day with them teaching them how to dial scopes, giving wind reading tips etc. They were already accuracy freaks and reloaders. I would bet they are still avid long range shooters whether they are long range hunters or not. They were making 700 yard hits on vitals sized targets with ease before I left.

[Linked Image]