Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Best advice I can give you is to take whatever rcmagulia and John Burns have to say, flush it right down the toilet, and go hunting.

Good grief, I never even posted in the thread and you are whining about me. blush blush

A life, PG. Get yourself one that does not include me.

As for Rick, he and I did not exactly start off as bestest of buddies but we seem to have reached a mutual level of respect and I would not recommend flushing his advice, even if you don�t agree. Rick has shown in open competition that he can run with the big boys when it comes to hitting at distance.

You, on the other hand, are just another anonymous internet poster hiding behind a screen name. shocked shocked

Originally Posted by jwp475
I bet the miss had more to do with the tough position than any thing els. Look at the picture of where he shot from. No one is in disagreement about proper equipment and practice as well as proper dope and a consign indicator. No one is saying different from what I have read here.

I thought the same thing especially considering the light rifle in the big cartridge. Muzzle brakes don�t help with barrel dwell time and 7.5 lb .338 Ultras move a bunch while the bullet is in the barrel. Coats over rocks cause bounce and high shots.

Originally Posted by wildwyo
Ok, here is a situation that happened to me this fall. I was hunting a canyon and spotted this elk. The closest that it was humanly possible to get to it was 565Yds.[Linked Image][Linked Image] I shoot a gun that I am very comfortable with at that distance, is it ethical to set up for the shot?

Wiidwyo,

Very nice bull and thanks for letting us offer opinions on your shot. You did a great job with the camera to show the position of the shot.

The issues I see are the admitted limited exposure of the bull and the compromise shooting position.

A bad hit on the bull and he is out of sight and you stated you had no ability to maneuver as you had approached as close as possible. Your choice of shooting position is most likely the cause of the high shot. A bull at 565yds is over a 4 MOA target (just a hit, not the vitals) and the slight angle and 3000ft change are not going to cause a min 2 MOA high shot.

Not being judgmental just offering my opinion of the issues you faced with the shot.

Congrats on the fine bull.

Ps, Just a thought but other (lighter recoil) cartridges kill bulls real good at 565yds. Just sayin. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.