Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Hey TexasPhotog,

I have a problem with the "long range hunter" label pinned on guys who obviously haven't a clue. It lumps them in with others who have done the work to actually make it happen.

I kinda have a problem the with entire label, "long range hunter" to tell you the truth.

It implies that the guy shoots animals at long range and only long range.

Take JohnBurns and Scenarshooter for example. They are some of the best long range shooters who frequent this forum and have made some long, long kills, I wouldn't apply the label "long range hunter" to. I'd bet they'd not pass up a 100 yard shot on a big game animal they wanted to shoot because it was too close.

They are hunters who are skilled shooters.

They have perfected their skill to match the capability of their equipment.

I think "Azzholes" is a more accurate term for the Goobers we're talking about. "Posers" come to mind as well.

I like the way your post reads now...

Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Here are some things I've seen "Azzhole" hunters do: I've seen them show up having not sighted in their rifle and/or with no idea about what the their trajectory is other than what's printed on the back of a box of factory ammo. And I've seen them show up without rangefinders or with rangefinders that don't work worth a damn

...but then I've never been accused of being politically correct.

grin

I see your point, but I tell all hunters that they need to be prepared to shoot at distance reliably because it's big country - and it is - so they're all long range hunters by default.

As Mr. Sagebrush noted, we're all on our own learning curves and many of they folks who show up to hunt have prepared about as best they can, given their rifle range distance is limited and leaving the bench is forbidden at their range. I certainly don't use the word a-hole for them, even though they're not really ready for long pokes. (I tend to reserve the use of that word for people who are supposed to be hunting neighboring ranches who I find, literally, a mile inside of my property line - with a big buck down.)

I tend to take long shot stories on the internet like I do big fish stories in a bar: with a grain of salt. But, hey, sometimes it's good for a laugh. A guy came back in one day with a nice buck and told me the story of his hunt - one shot, 500 yards he said. I was looking at the buck as he told the story, and their was a neat .277 hole on the from edge of one of the horns. I called him out on it and he sheepishly admitted, well, it took "two" shots. I still get to laugh about it occasionally - he's an uncle of mine, so I get to tease him about it!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain