Your argument would make sense if things were wide open. The fact is, we are far from free to do as we please in the game fields. This isn't the Great Plains of 1805, or the Serengeti of 1900. We must try and figure out a way to ensure game survival while still allowing the hunt, and it's certainly different in every locale.

In Montana, I cannot shoot from vehicles, or hunt at night. I can't hunt with a crossbow during archery season. These laws are in place to limit the kill, give animals a fighting chance, and ensure a healthy population of game survives until next year.

Sure, some of the laws are likely arbitrary, but one only has to look at places like the Northern Cheyenne Reservation to see the need for regulation. This Rez doesn't have a season...it's a free for all. I believe I saw my first set of deer tracks there last year, after driving through for 30 years.

As Bob mentioned, depending on where on hunts, the methods will differ depending on topography, game populations, and a whole mess of other stuff. 'Tis a good thing that states are able to regulate these laws and not the Feds....what a mess that would be.

Overall, people must be limited in the ways in which they kill, and game laws ensure we are. Any technology that virtually eliminates the human involvement, other than showing up and yanking the trigger, has made things far too easy.