Originally Posted by Shod
Mackay Sagebrush,

I'v driven to the range twice a day for months on end to get data for a true cold bore shot under varying temperatures and weather conditions. While it may be true I certainly am a novice being my first year and all I think it would be safe to say I am a novice who is willing to put in the time to get effective first round hits and be able to put a number on best possible scenario as a maximum that I have seen during testing for myself.

I don't feel my number 700 was arbitrary in any way at all because my statement was 700 yds or LESS. The word less makes it a non fixed number allowing for differing circumstances. 700 yds has proved to be the furthest I would consider under close to perfect conditions. I still have a lot to learn and ways to go before I consider taking any such shot. I'm really enjoying the learning process and I believe the most important thing I have learned is........put in the time first! For myself I've decided on two years and that's a lot of practice for a fella that frequents the range a minimum of 3 times a week.

Shod

Shod,

There is nothing wrong or uncool about being a novice shooter. The fact that you are willing to put forth time and effort to learn the intricacies of the game is a good indicator that you are on the right path.

I've been fortunate to have a professional background in LR shooting, so while a lot of things were self taught (like most guys), many topics were instructed to me by men who were experts in the craft.

Now I am one of those instructors and I can tell you with certainty that even though I am an instructor, I never stop learning. That is one of the great things about precision rifle shooting in general, You can spend a lifetime perfecting your skill sets, as well as learning how to teach others.

On a side note, if you really want to know a subject inside and out, teach it. You will acquire knowledge from those you teach.

The comments someone made about one group of shooters having disdain for another is right on the money too. It is funny whenever you mention shooting game at a moderate to longer distance, how vehemently people start crying against it, even though they have no idea who is behind the trigger, or their skill sets.

No matter, as long as you know your abilities, and your confidence and competence are in proper balance.

Cheers!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com