Originally Posted by Ringman
Wild_Bill_375,

If we took Tanners limitation of being able to hit a 8"x11" target (Cold Bore) every time and lets say that is 700 yards (just as an example). Do you even care what your projectile flight time is?

What difference does it make if the shooter hits his target every time in all conditions? This is akin to asking an instinct bow shooter how he can justify not using sights.

Well, Ringman, my guess is your answer is no? And personally I don't understand your akin?
The average instinctive traditional archery kill is less than 18 yards. Where the average for compound sight using archer average kill range is 25 yards.
Just for an example, I sat last night and watched on the killing channel during dinner, a compound hunter miss a Alberta moose at 56 yards with sights. He shot right over the bulls back.
Personally, as a traditional archer, I would not have even attempted the shot. Even with the fact that I practice a lot at 60 yards and know that I can hit the target with the first arrow every time. Especially if we consider the kill zone on a moose to be around 18" diameter.
The 60 yard practice is on a non-moving target. And I know my arrow is in the air traveling towards the target for a lot longer time than it is at 18 yards. Which means if that moose moves at 56 yards I can gut shoot him pretty quickly. I think we all can agree that would not be a favorable out come.

So the whole point I was trying to make, and apparently failed to point out, is targets don't normally move and animals do.

Even though I practice at shooting long range (out to 1000 yards) I limit my personal range, on Big Game animals, based on time in flight & size of kill area. It's just a little math and knowing the game animals that I would be hunting. Heck some software programs will actually tell you what the limitation yardage should be on your kill zone. (JBM Calculations does for an example)

BTW: I thought of Time In Flight because of traditional archery & my experience with it.