any shooting situation or any hunting situation? huge difference.

IMO all shooting is "guessing" in a sense. or making assumptions would be a better way of putting it. we assume our scope is still dialed to our zero, or we assume the next round will fly like the last. there is no way to truly KNOW exactly what is going to happen. we do our best to be consistent, but there is always murphy waiting to jump in.

now I can't speak for the well known folks and who made the call in your instance as to their experience or credibility. I do know that often when hunting it is nice to have an experienced spotter to call out ranges and estimate wind value between you and the target. not that I can't do it myself, but when I'm setting up the rifle my spotter can range and estimate wind. I will concur before the shot is taken, because me as the shooter is ultimately responsible. I do the same for them as well. I'm trusted by more people to make the call, than I trust.

As to the OP's question there is no set distance for me, depends on the rifle I have and what we can do together. as someone stated "do things right" that's what it's all about. I made 2 shots this year that many wouldn't take, I had no qualms and both critters are in the freezer. first was an offhand shot at 315 yards POI was within 2" of where I wanted it, second was 535 after running a 1/4 mile to get into position.

everyone should limit themselves based on their capabilities, no one should impose their limits on others.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.