Here is my take on it, from my personal observations. The technology that has become available over the last 20 years has given hunters the ability to kill their quarry way more ethicly; now versus then. Rangefinders have changed everything. In my younger years a "350yd" shot was a guess.In reality it could have been 250 or 450. Today with the equipment we have, everything is much more precise. The only thing that will never change in the whole scheme of things is the "mental" aspect. I definately would never try and engineer a long "kill shot", but also I have worked at improving my skills to a point that I feel comfortable making a shot on Elk to 600 yards. I work very hard to get into the places that these animals live and get as close as I can to kill them. On this bull, I miss judged the angle.Normally I wouldn't have, but this bull had me wound up.We had seen him 2 days previous to the day that I killed him. He was holed up in a pretty serious [bleep] with only one way to ambush him. On top of that, killing him where he was living ment a very serious comitment to packing him out.I had 4 good friends waiting for my call to help me get him out. With all of that on my mind, I didn't call the angle of the first shot"mental". I did however get it together quickly enough to adjust and put 2 kill shots in him with the next 2. I learned along time ago to keep shooting until they are down.