Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by RDFinn

You'll have to forgive me as I'll never see "the hunt" in a 800 yard plus shot.

Maybe you can see it if I describe a hunt that was just that.

Unlike New Jersey, the West is pretty open country. It's open even in some seriously, God-forsaken, rocky, steep, cactusey country where Goats and Sheep live.

Went on an Ibex hunt with three buddies. Glassed up some animals about 2 miles away. The stalk to get there involved traversing steep terrain both up and down. It involved getting into a dry, rocky arroyo bed, climbing waterfall areas, sneaking through thorn bushes.

2 Hours later we were within 1100 yards

There was a rocky outcropping in front and above us that we could make it to without being seen that would provide a 760 yard shot. To attempt getting closer would have exposed us across a canyon diagonally and blew the animals out of the area.

Made it to the rock outcropping circled in the pic and set up for the shot. Standing in the spot the animal was killed taking the pic back to the spot of the shot. Animals were spotted from the top of the knob that the red arrow is pointing at.

It took an additional 1 hour to make it over to the animal.

[Linked Image]

Can't remember the last time I hunted in NJ, but based on the narrow mindedness of internet posters I guess that was a logical conclusion because I live in NJ. I appreciate your illustration though.