Originally Posted by xxclaro
I guess I just don't really understand the whole long range hunting just for the sake of long range hunting thing. I understand wanting to be able to shoot accurately at long distance. I understand taking a long shot if it's all you have or if it's necessary. I agree that its a good idea to become as proficient as possible at all ranges, and I plan to do plenty of practice to become a decent long range shot.

I don't really understand the thought that says "lets see how far away I can get and still hit this animal". If its prairie dogs I don't see an issue, a hit is likely a kill. A big, tough animal like and elk though? Why not get closer, if possible? Is it fair to the animal to risk gut shooting it just so you can brag to your buddies?

The "who can shoot the furthest" thing is just another dick measuring contest, similar to SCI.... heck, you can even get into a long range hit club.

It's one thing to be proficient at long range, practicing to enhance one's hit % when the chance to stalk closer is limited...... but to shoot as far as possible simply to best one's buddies or brag on a message board is highly disrespectful to the game, and to the hunting community. We owe the game a chance....if we are shooting from outside of the game's abilities to out-sense and out-maneuver us, we just as well be using artillery or remotely shooting from a computer