Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by okie
The real reasons for the war are there for anyone to learn but you go ahead and stick to your watered down version...in this country you have the right to be wrong...

The very words that the Southern leaders wrote themselves, in their seccession documents and in their Confederate Constitution, are also there for anyone to read.

The Southern leadership's main 'reason' for seccession was clearly slavery. Others who participated in the war might've had their own, or other, reasons and motivations for doing so. But slavery was clearly the centerpiece of the documents of secession and the Confederate Constitution that were written by the Southern leaders themselves.

I didn't make it the truth...it just 'is'.

It'd still be the truth if I never mentioned what Birdwatcher so clearly pointed out on this issue previously.

I looked for Birdwatcher's post and could not see it either on this thread or in his list of posts.

As Kaywoodie pointed out, slavery was legal under the US flag longer than it was under the Confederate Battle Flag. As I pointed out, Lincoln didn't free any slaves until after the war was well underway. The United States said time and again that the war was to preserve the Union. The Confederacy and its President contended even after the war that Secession was legal under the US Constitution.

IOW you have no argument.