Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I still want someone to answer where Lincoln got his constitutional authority to use force to preserve the Union?

Where does the Constitution say the POTUS may do that?

I was so hoping Birdwatcher would answer this for me whistle

Or, the same unconstitutional authority to "free" private property lawfully owned by American citizens without due compensation...

Or, the unconstitutional authority to have the Maryland legislature and Governor arrested and replaced, and order the guns at Ft. McHenry turned on the CIVILIAN population of Baltimore, essentially placing the entire city under arrest without charge and under threat of death if they were to exercise their First, Second, Third, Fourth, or Fifth Amendment rights...

Hey, whatever it takes to end slavery...

Originally Posted by Abe
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."