Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Mike, in the 50's arizona was short of priests, so they imported a bunch of irish priest for the local parish's scattered around the state. Most are now deceased, or on retiring they went back to ireland. I have fond memories of them with grade school Sacred Heart, and two years of a catholic high school. Those nuns were wonderful people and a first class education, but they were tough. When the local priest couldn't handle it, there were always the jesuits at brophy Prep in phoenix that could be called in. Now they WERE tuff.

Ya know, there's a fierce integrity to the Native Irish, that may be part pure stubbornness I dunno cool To that end I'm regarding the stand of the 69th New York before the Bloody Lane at Antietam as typical of the genre; standing in line, in the open, pouring buck and ball at close range from smoothbore muskets into rifle-armed opponents hidden behind cover, the few survivors then retiring in good order, colors and honor intact.

And speaking of the Irish Brigade, here's their monument at Gettysburg, truly remarkable not only for its day but even today, and created by an Irish sculptor who served in a Virginian (CSA) artillery unit from Bull Run clear to Appomattox, and who also fought at Gettysburg, on Seminary Ridge cool

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744