i think he answered you BW... do you feel ike the flag shouldnt fly on statehouse grounds at a confederate monument?

I think it is ludicrous to suggest that people fly that grand old flag out of "racism". I think it is also ludicrous to suggest that flying that flag necessarily implies the owner wishes the South had actually won. That would be about like saying that everyone who wears a kilt and plays the pipes wishes the Celts still lived under the vicious and decidedly UNfree clan system.

OTOH I got a Black co-worker, a retired Military Officer, who says that the people who originally flew that flag enslaved his own ancestors and, more importantly, the ancestors of his children and grandchildren.

Hey, build a Confederate memorial on yer own property and fly what you want.

But on public property? A public referendum and vote is the only lawful way to settle it.

You and I would vote to keep the Stars and Bars in place, my friend would probably vote differently.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744