Originally Posted by milespatton
First off let me say that I think enslaving your fellow man is wrong, then and now, but it was a common thing in that day and time. I maintain that the war was not fought over slavery for a couple of reasons. One is that the North was not fighting to end slavery, when the war started. That came along later. Another reason is that the majority of the ones doing the fighting, owned no slaves. Now I do agree that the ones in Southern power wanted to maintain slavery and the North was trying to keep new states added to the union from being slave holding states, but the North was mostly fighting to keep their foot on the neck of the South. Those upstart Southerners started importing their own slaves, and breeding them, thus cutting out the New England merchants that had made a fortune from it. They also wanted all of the Souths products to be routed through them so that they could profit, even though it meant lower prices for the South. Most of the Southerners fought because they believed in freedom from the Government. The hard feelings that are left over, are from after the war. miles

Miles nailed it. But THAT don't fit the Yankee/Black narrative.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place