Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Lots of the Southerners here go on and on about how they are so different from "Yankees". I'd tell 'em this; go visit rural folks all over the North, and then tell me how different these Yankees are from themselves.

Those aren't Yankees. Yankees are and are the descendants of New England Congregationalists and they almost hailed from the east of England. The same groups fought a Civil War in England as well.

You should read a book or two. I recommend "Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America" for starters. Another good would be "The Cousin's Wars".

Nope, we are a different people.

So New England Congregationalists were a majority of the population in the North in '61???

They answered Lincoln's call and did a majority of the fighting?

LINCOLN was a New England Congregationalist?

A while back I asked you why the South couldn't imagine themselves without slavery......

(I mean if our Constitution defines who we are, they wrote theirs ABOUT slavery).

You answered in effect "No, that weren't it, they had a different interpretation of what government was supposed to do and they opposed mercantilism."

Why didn't THEY say that?

Birdwatcher

Since when do you have to be a majority to dominate public discourse? It would seem that we just changed our most basic institution and quite possibly the very fabric of our society for two percent of the population.

And, yes, Lincoln's ancestry was as Yankee as they come. He was descended from Samuel Lincoln who was born in Norfolk and a founding member of the Old Ship Church in New England.

They did say it OVER AND OVER. Like I said, just read Georgia's declaration of secession. They set he historical stage quite well.

But hey, you're not interested in actually learning anything other than what you think you know.

Last edited by JoeBob; 06/29/15.