There would have been secession sooner or later with or without slavery. The federal government has done nothing but overreach since its inception and secession would have been tried for any number of reasons.

What were the prevalent Southern views on the Whiskey Rebellion?

Since when do you have to be a majority to dominate public discourse? It would seem that we just changed our most basic institution and quite possibly the very fabric of our society for two percent of the population.

This would be true if those fighting and dying to preserve the Union did not actually believe in what they were fighting for.

You have stated these men were "dupes" and "useful idiots". I submit that description might better apply to the Confederate soldier, who among other things was fighting to preserve the slave-holding rights of a small but wealthy fraction of Southern society.

I will clarify here that you yourself introduced those terms to describe the 500,000 plus that fought for the Union, I myself have too much respect for the brave men on both sides to describe them in anything like those terms.

And, yes, Lincoln's ancestry was as Yankee as they come. He was descended from Samuel Lincoln who was born in Norfolk and a founding member of the Old Ship Church in New England.

Interesting, thanks.

They did say it OVER AND OVER. Like I said, just read Georgia's declaration of secession. They set he historical stage quite well.

???

I'm wondering why you picked GEORGIA to make this point.

When they all sat down to declare for posterity WHY they were leaving they opened with this....

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/primarysources/declarationofcauses.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery.

OF COURSE all the Confedrate States also mentioned taxes, tariffs and whatnot, their OWN FATHERS ANd GRANDFATHERS had fought a war to establish the United States of America over those very issues

But hey, you're not interested in actually learning anything other than what you think you know.

Sir, all I have asked you to do is defend your views.

Be careful before you point a finger, when you do theirs always three more of your own pointing back at you.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744