A fool's errand.

So Brazil's society was just like ours? Based upon similar principles? Just when exactly did they start such widespread miscegenation between the races anyhow and when would that have happened here?

Specific to our own case, chattel slavery had divided this nation in two since its very inception and OF COURSE it was a rank violation of American principle (which is exactly why anyone who came out in favor of it today would be regarded as a moron at best).

Slavery very nearly destroyed this nation, and in your view actually DID destroy it.

Once secession came I would have taken up arms to defend the Union, and damned sure could have never defended the Confederate Constitution.

Lots of the Southerners here go on and on about how they are so different from "Yankees". I'd tell 'em this; go visit rural folks all over the North, and then tell me how different these Yankees are from themselves.

On my epic bike trip last summer I'd guess I saw about as many rebel flags up north as I did in the South.

The Scots-Irish South without slavery? Maybe about like Vermont or New Hampshire in character. Without slavery, there most likely never would have been a war to begin with.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744