Abraham Lincoln, a wealthy railroad lawyer intended to see his employers well looked after.

So, his whole deal about "Saving the Union", about which he was quite open and forthcoming throughout, to the extent of publishing it plainly stated in a major newspaper for the whole World to read, during that war, was all a front?

He didn't care about saving the Union at all, only his personal profits from the railroad?

Well, fortunately for him, there was about a half-million OTHER guys, with no stake in the railroad, who DID want to save the Union, and who were prepared to die for that belief.

....at the mercy of Northern financial and manufacturing interests because they had been stripped of their entire economic system. THAT is what an end to slavery meant to the South in 1860.

You're lucky. When I say that slavery was essential to the Southern economy in 1860 I get labelled a "revisionist", and worse, a "Brit" grin

Same thing when I point out that the entire Southern leadership derived their own personal fortunes from the labor of other men, women and children confined in chains (literal or figurative as necessary) and condemned to a life of imprisonment and hard labor.

In fact they even wrote a Constitution specifically designed to protect and preserve that practice ergo their own fortunes. I dunno if every Confederate soldier was sworn to uphold it, it being a sort of Confederate Federal document after all, but they were all in service to states that had ratified said constitution and must have been aware of it.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744