Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Well....

I just handled one of their new rifles. The rep brought a Closer by the shop.

Needless to say, I'm impressed. The action was smooth as silk. The metal work was flawless and the bedding was better than I've ever seen on a production rifle (he let me take it out of the stock). The Timney trigger was nice....and ergo's were spot on.

Its a breeze to remove the firing pin for cleaning as well. With the safety in mid-postion, remove the bolt and pull back on a small lever, unscrew from there.

I'm looking forward to shooting one...

So I was at the local Sportsman's today and they had one of these, it was one of the "Professional" rifles in 300 Win Mag. They had it marked at $1599, the guy thought the non-mags would be a bit less but he wasn't sure.

Anyway, like SAS said the fit & finish is 1st rate, it was about as nice as I've seen. Certainly nicer than just about any production rifle I've seen that has a plastic stock. Stock felt great, balance was right on the money, it had a thinner shoe Timney, this one was adjusted perfect for a hunting rig. The action was really nice, just unbelievably slick when you cycled it.

About the only thing I could complain about, and I'm grasping is the recoil pad. It was pretty dang hard, kind of like the older Remington solid pads like on KS rifles or the laminated Mtn rifles from a few years ago. Be a real kicker on that Mag. Although I've never been a huge fan of a 3 position safety I could really like this rifle, if they shoot as good as they look that price is pretty decent IMHO.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"