Originally Posted by TopCat
but if your Amaxes are happy in a 9 twist, then no worries, you can buy one of their production 9 twist 6mm barrels and not have to pay the additional costs for a faster twist barrel...that don't exist.

My point about the Amaxes had more to do with this:

Originally Posted by TopCat
Originally Posted by Tanner
Everything but the 22-250 looks good to me on that spec sheet. I'd take a 1-8" over a 1-9", but the 1-9" will still spin most good 105s in a 243 (105 HPBT, 105 A-Max, 105 VLD...)

Tanner

...at higher elevations.

I'm not exactly at a high elevation - sub 600 and the 1-9 will stabilize the 105 amax in the cool/dry air I shoot in. Eventually we're going to be completely lead free. It's a fact, it's coming. To get the same BC in a mono-metal means I need to be quite a bit longer and I'll need more twist to stabilize.

Where I think I'd run into trouble and I don't know because I've not tested is the 115 DTAC. I'm in a relatively low elevation and low air density location. Start getting into a humid areas - there may be issues with a 105 that's not being pushed real hard. Dunno - I can only speak to where I'm shooting but a 1-8 in 6mm would make it a moot point.

Also the ONLY way to really know what your twist really is, you need to check with a cleaning rod. Things don't ALWAYS show as advertised. 1-9 might end up more like 1-9.75 and cause issues but a 1-8 probably isn't going to end up 1-10.

Me