Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Salty303
We were discussing the whys and why nots of having the best chamnber design (long to take advantage of today's long high BC bullets) and the best twist rate to accommodate these heavier bullets and thinking out loud I threw out what this might mean to Joe 6 pack who is stuck with only factory ammo. I said going with a nice fast twist rate would have no ill effects for Joe 6 pack or anyone else, its a slam dunk. Then I said the above, that going beyond SAAMI throat length may not work the optimum for SAAMI (factory) length ammo. That was nit picking, a "what if" type take on the matter. All I meant is the twist is a no brainer, throat design not necessarily. ie how much of a jump will the bullets be happy with, you'd have to experiment and see.

I realise now I should have left the last bit out I've just muddied the waters with nit picking there. Apologies to all for lack of clarity. Even Big Stick, sort of. grin

The highlighted parts are what suggest you don't have a handle on it yet. The long VLD type bullets often need a shorter throat.

OK I get that but help me out here, why are longer than normal throats used by some? Is that just a local thing around here? And I thought that type of design is what was being discussed a couple pages back.