As soon as we checked in at the ranch, we were directed to the range to check the zero on our rifles. Interestingly, both rifles needed two or three clicks of adjustment to put them back on the money, so to speak. Not sure what that was about, but it was nno big undertaking.

There was a bit of discussion as to whether we would be hunting on Wednesday night, and the decision was made to go hunt. I'm certainly glad we did, as Tide Jr was able to take his first pig ever.

We were sitting in one of the ground blinds, watching a group of whitetails in a sendero, when a sow showed up. She had three little piglets in tow, and they were feeding between us and the whitetails.

There was no discussion as to whether he would shoot her or not, but I did spend time whispering to him about letting her clear a few little mesquite limbs that were between us and her, and also making sure the deer were clear from behind her in case of a miss or pass through. I think that the extra time it took for the shot to develop gave Jr. more time to relax and breathe before he actually broke the shot.

When his little rifle did bark, the sow dropped like a sack of sausage, kicked 3 or 4 times and was still. The little ones scattered, along with the whitetails and we stepped off the distance and collected his trophy. 77 steps, and the 125 grain Ballistic Tip produced an exit, which mildly surprised me. Definitely looking forward to deer season here at home now, there will be more shots taken with the 300 Blackout.

[Linked Image]

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis