Good thread topic and good lists of equipment.

Once you get wet, especially in freezing weather, the most important things are lots of high-energy food, and the will power to keep moving to burn calories. I have known several hunters and outdoorsmen since 1972 who were very experienced, but died of hypothermia in the mountains or after falling overboard in the winter.

When you are cold, the tendency is to curl up and hunker down, and if the situation is not appropriate for that, you will die right there. A few years ago, several US Special Forces died in Florida in weather that was damp and in the 50 degree range.

I always carry 10,000 calories and 200 gram of protein in nuts, sunflower seeds, roasted soybeans, protein bars like Cliff. I also carry some dried soup, rice mix or Kraft macaroni and cheese that I can cook up for at least one hot meal in my 20 oz cup with handle or mess kit. My light mess kit is aluminum, old Swedish military, with stand, alcohol stove, fuel bottle and two pots all nested together. It also works as a twig stove.