Okanagan, I keep a tiny LED light clipped to my pack strap. Will allow the reversal of the real lights batteries..

Kutenay-- nothing special, just a normal stiker, something on a handle that has basically a cut down hard steel hacksaw blade, run along the edge, sparks galore. Got it in a survival class. Basically the same as on the magnesium strikers, its round like on the M but about as thick as 2 pencils. Or a blast match which is similar.

I've never cared much for the steel wool though it works. I prefer wood wool which catches instantly.

The powder blocks can burn for minutes depending on size. Which is great. Some packs I also put in a part block of the wax soaked stove starting blocks. Once lit they are good too.

One can never go wrong with vaseline soaked cotton balls.

I also carry a blow tube, plastic, O2 type tubing. Just be very careful not to inhale. But that sure can help a smoldering start.

I'll see if I can find more info on my striker. Had a link to the survival sight a year ago, don't know if I can find it back.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....