Some interesting points here. Thought I'd add my $0.02. Butane lighters, piezo or otherwise do not work at high altitudes. Best lighter for altitude I've found is a Zippo. Not sure what the attraction is with the gooey cotton balls; they're messy and get smooshed into greasy balls. I pack Esbit Solid Fuel tabs, a beeswax candle, and chunks for fireplace starter (looks like a fake log). I have a ferro rod too, but damn if that's my first option. If I need a fire, I NEED a fire. I'm not practicing some bushcraft bow drill, ferro rod, when I have instant means. The road flares are a good option IMO, if the weight isn't an issue.

I'm of the Nessmuk Trio mentality with the sharp things. Hatchet for chopping, fixed blade for big cutting chores, small folder for fine work. If weight is an issue I'll leave the axe or fixed blade at camp, depending on my needs. Yes, axes are dangerous, so is the gun you are carrying, the trees you climb over, and the lightning in the sky. Slip and falls account for a lot more injuries than camping hatchets.

I have a Katadyn water filter that's awesome with a pack of chlorine tablets just in case. The filter is fast and easy and the water tastes amazing; it's a trade off for more weight and space.

My shelter is a 8x10 plastic tarp. I've used it once, along with the axe. And it both were probably a life saver that day.

Biggest thing for me is weight. I don't want a bunch of REI and Cabelas pseudo survival gimmicks in my pack.