Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by djs
A "space blanket" can be invaluable.

How do you use them?

I've found space blankets to be more hype than help.

often part of my kit if I've got a full blown backpack on mike

but first we have to define space blanket, those fold up in your pocket thinner than tissue paper are not even as good as TP cause they won't wipe yer azz very well as they're too slick! blush

but the heavier duty space blankets that weigh 12 oz.+ are pretty good gear.

they insulate from cold ground a bit for one, I always use one under my pad for both insulation, heat reflection and to protect my pad if inflatable. I don't take one sheep hunting as they don't make weight btw. I use a sil nylon poncho instead

they can be used to reflect heat from a fire upon your back, though for the life of me I've never understood why if a guy can build one fire he can't build two and sit between them while feeding them.

and 3 they're a decent emergency shelter, I've used one when caught without raingear (rookie mistake)

my fave has a hood and two pockets to stick your hands in so you can wrap yourself up without being exposed to the elements. but I haven't seen them offered in awhile, so perhaps they quit making them.

where it really comes in handy is wrapping up and putting a candle inside, you can get toasty warm for awhile, which can be a very good thing.

the other thing I like about them if caught in a downpour away from camp, I don raingear and then the space blanket or poncho over my raingear. Only way I know to stay truly dry in a toad choker.

pretty good piece of kit ime, but for me space blankets start with the heavy duty ones, the others are worthless.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.