Gents;

Moral of the story was practice with and test what you carry as "contingency" gear as well as how your hunting gear functions in "contingencies".

I don't hunt where or how you all seam to hunt, based on your posts. I live and play in the north east, different environment, different tactics/game yields different load out. But cold and wet is universal, and dieing from exposure can happen anywhere.

I don't often make brush shelters, as I carry a tarp, polls, pre rigged cordage and pegs. My axe/saw/knife(s), are about making logs into fuel, kindling, and tinder, fire making. I try to be able to make fuzz sticks and shavings with my axe, and make 3-4" sectioned rounds smaller with my knife, in case I should loose or break one or the other. The saw is a one trick pony, but to me, the amount of calories it saves, and it's efficiency, makes it worth carrying.

My posts weren't intended to be about what you or I choose to carry, it was about making certain that what you choose to carry and your practiced skills, would be enough to keep you alive in extremis, in the worst conditions and circumstances possible in the environments you hunt in.

Regards, Jim

Last edited by alligator; 09/03/12. Reason: cogency