dave,

I'm not there, so am only postulatin

but am thinking if I was stuck out in your locale, I'd spend a fair amount of time getting that starter stuff together, then get finger size dead limbs from downed trees and standing dead ones, break them to get to the dry stuff inside.

throw my poncho or space blanket over the small end of a downed tree, find a rock and wipe it with my hanky and put my fire makings on it under my shelter that I've weighted down to fight the wind.

lot's of prep work needed but then I'd find progressively bigger stuff a ton of it about wrist size and lay as much of it against the tree under my tarp/poncho.

I think a guy would have to have a ton of wood around that was dead to make it work, but i'd go get bigger stuff even if it was wet on the outside.

once I got my fire blazing (if that's what a guy wanted) I'd remove the tarp and just add fuel.

or keep the fire small and sit under the tarp next to the fire and keep feeding it and drying stuff as I moved it closer.

it's good stuff to do when you don't NEED to, just for grins and to build some confidence that you can.

then after doing all that they could come and drag my dead hypothermic azz outa there. grin

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say