Oh, I forgot...I've got both a LED headlamp and a bigger, brighter, but low weight, Fenix (the Fenix is incredible, particularly the ones that work on CR-123 lithium cells; search on e-bay)flashlight in my hunting pack, but I'll probably slip one of those tiny button LED lamps in the small case. The ability to put one of them on SOS at night for aircraft is something that could save my injured butt sometime...And the post about marathoner's gel has me thinking about slipping one of those little packs in, too. I can think of a number of hunts gel really would have made a difference to my young son.

You guys would like this. We were watching "March of the Penguins" in a theatre in Missoula three or four years ago with some other kids and parents, including a woman I was seeing at the time. The scene of the winter blizzard came on--male penguins huddled together, balancing their eggs on their toes, shoulders and heads covered with snow. Too much time on the outer perimeter meant death, and the congregation was surrounded by dead individuals and abandoned eggs, rapidly disappearing in the snow accumulation. Very dramatic, and the movie theatre was silent...until my boy leaned forward and hissed, "Hey, Caroline! That's what elk hunting with Dad is like."

The front half of the theatre erupted in laughter.